Friday, July 25, 2008

I was coming home the other night. I had the window down; it was about 85 F outside (my air conditioning is gone). The speed limit is 65 mph. I'm cruising at that and come up on some traffic--two cars and a motorcycle; they were going 60. I didn't want to pass, so I just enjoyed the time before I would be happily at home with my family (it takes about 26 minutes to get home).

I glance into the rear view mirror and see a car coming at me--fast. He has to slow down because of the traffic. Finally it is clear, and he takes off wanting to pass all of us. Only one problem, though, a hill was coming up and the double yellow lines were almost present. It didn't stop him; he did it anyway. Just before the top...he pulls back in, no one was coming the other direction.

What if there had been someone coming the other direction? Would there have been a head-on, a side swipe, maybe forcing the motorcycle into the ditch. I don't know.

What he did was assume. He assumed he could make it safely. He assumed there was no one coming the other direction. He had no evidence, no proof, no facts, no science; he just assumed.

I thought about myself and others; how often do we assume something. An atheist assumes there is no after life, so eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die. They claim science, but what does science know what happens after death? Maybe there is nothing; maybe there is.

What about other things in people's lives. Some smoke and assume what happens to others will not happen to them. So with alcohol, drugs, free sex--people just assume and don't care.

But...

What if they're wrong--then what?

No comments: