Thursday, October 3, 2019

Job and His Suffering Part 2

B1 This long section is the advice(?) of Job’s 3 friends(?) and Job’s replies to them.
B2 Basically, they accuse Job of great sin that has been hidden from everyone except God. God is now punishing Job for his evil. Job needs to confess his sin and get right with God.
C1 The grief and emotional burden of Job: Job 3:24-26 GNB Instead of eating, I mourn, and I can never stop groaning. 25 Everything I fear and dread comes true. 26 I have no peace, no rest, and my troubles never end.
C2 The “abuse the victim” starts with Eliphaz: Job 4:7-11 GNB Think back now. Name a single case where someone righteous met with disaster. 8 I have seen people plow fields of evil and plant wickedness like seed; now they harvest wickedness and evil. 9 Like a storm, God destroys them in his anger. 10 The wicked roar and growl like lions, but God silences them and breaks their teeth. 11 Like lions with nothing to kill and eat, they die, and all their children are scattered.
C3 These friends(?) are victim-shaming. The Lord Jesus addresses this here: Luke 13:1-4 GNB At that time some people were there who told Jesus about the Galileans whom Pilate had killed while they were offering sacrifices to God. 2 Jesus answered them, "Because those Galileans were killed in that way, do you think it proves that they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? 3 No indeed! And I tell you that if you do not turn from your sins, you will all die as they did. 4 What about those eighteen people in Siloam who were killed when the tower fell on them? Do you suppose this proves that they were worse than all the other people living in Jerusalem? 
D1 Just because bad things happen to good people (this said in human terms, not God’s definition), does not mean that they deserve it, did something that caused it, or God is punishing them.
D2 Good things happen to evil people as well.
D3 A rather long passage, but it explains the feelings of one who is a believer and observe evil people having it good in life. Psalms 73:1-15 GNB God is indeed good to Israel, to those who have pure hearts. 2 But I had nearly lost confidence; my faith was almost gone 3 because I was jealous of the proud when I saw that things go well for the wicked. 4 They do not suffer pain; they are strong and healthy. 5 They do not suffer as other people do; they do not have the troubles that others have. 6 And so they wear pride like a necklace and violence like a robe; 7 their hearts pour out evil, and their minds are busy with wicked schemes. 8 They laugh at other people and speak of evil things; they are proud and make plans to oppress others. 9 They speak evil of God in heaven and give arrogant orders to everyone on earth, 10 so that even God's people turn to them and eagerly believe whatever they say. 11 They say, "God will not know; the Most High will not find out." 12 That is what the wicked are like. They have plenty and are always getting more. 13 Is it for nothing, then, that I have kept myself pure and have not committed sin? 14 O God, you have made me suffer all day long; every morning you have punished me. 15 If I had said such things, I would not be acting as one of your people.
D4 Nevertheless, he understood something that we can learn: Psalms 73:16-28 GNB I tried to think this problem through, but it was too difficult for me 17 until I went into your Temple. Then I understood what will happen to the wicked. 18 You will put them in slippery places and make them fall to destruction! 19 They are instantly destroyed; they go down to a horrible end. 20 They are like a dream that goes away in the morning; when you rouse yourself, O Lord, they disappear. 21 When my thoughts were bitter and my feelings were hurt, 22 I was as stupid as an animal; I did not understand you. 23 Yet I always stay close to you, and you hold me by the hand. 24 You guide me with your instruction and at the end you will receive me with honor. 25 What else do I have in heaven but you? Since I have you, what else could I want on earth? 26 My mind and my body may grow weak, but God is my strength; he is all I ever need. 27 Those who abandon you will certainly perish; you will destroy those who are unfaithful to you. 28 But as for me, how wonderful to be near God, to find protection with the Sovereign LORD and to proclaim all that he has done! 
C4 A few more quotes from his friends(?):
D1 Bildad speaking to Job. “Job you are evil to the core, and your children, too. God punished those bastards as they deserved.” Job 8:1-7 GNB (1-2) Are you finally through with your windy speech? 3 God never twists justice; he never fails to do what is right. 4 Your children must have sinned against God, and so he punished them as they deserved. 5 But turn now and plead with Almighty God; 6 if you are so honest and pure, then God will come and help you and restore your household as your reward. 7 All the wealth you lost will be nothing compared with what God will give you then.
D2 Zophar’s turn to revictimize. Look at his poor judgment. Let us learn, O Lord, not to do this! Job 11:1-5 GNB (1-2) Will no one answer all this nonsense? Does talking so much put you in the right? 3 Job, do you think we can't answer you? That your mocking words will leave us speechless? 4 You claim that what you say is true; you claim you are pure in the sight of God. 5 How I wish God would answer you! 
D2 Eliphaz again: Job 22:4-5 GNB It is not because you stand in awe of God that he reprimands you and brings you to trial. 5 No, it's because you have sinned so much; it's because of all the evil you do.
C5 Job speaks, but they do not believe. Victims experience the same much too often. We need to listen and to believe. Always start there.
C6 Job finally appeals to God, “Why, are you doing this to me.” Job knows he did nothing to deserve this.
C7 Read this and sense the Job’s pain at this revictimization. Job 16:1-8 GNB (1-2) I have heard words like that before; the comfort you give is only torment. 3 Are you going to keep on talking forever? Do you always have to have the last word? 4 If you were in my place and I in yours, I could say everything you are saying. I could shake my head wisely and drown you with a flood of words. 5 I could strengthen you with advice and keep talking to comfort you. 6 But nothing I say helps, and being silent does not calm my pain. 7 You have worn me out, God; you have let my family be killed. 8 You have seized me; you are my enemy. I am skin and bones, and people take that as proof of my guilt.
B3 Some things to learn
C1 God does not victimize. He does punish, but He does not victimize. He does not abuse. He hates abuse. Psalm 11:5 NIV The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion.
C2 God hates those who plan evil: Micah 2:1 NIV Woe to those who plan iniquity, to those who plot evil on their beds! At morning's light they carry it out because it is in their power to do it.
C3 satan and those who follow his ways will be punished:
D1 Revelation 20:10 GNB Then the Devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had already been thrown; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
D2 Revelation 20:14-15 GNB Then death and the world of the dead were thrown into the lake of fire. (This lake of fire is the second death.) 15 Those who did not have their name written in the book of the living were thrown into the lake of fire.
D3 Revelation 21:8 GNB But cowards, traitors, perverts, murderers, the immoral, those who practice magic, those who worship idols, and all liars—the place for them is the lake burning with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.
C4 Here is a warning from God. If you are an abuser, God will deal with you. If, like Job’s friends(?), you do this in ignorance, then repent. God knows that abusers fake repentance. Beware. Proverbs 6:16 GNB (16-19) There are seven things that the LORD hates and cannot tolerate: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that kill innocent people, a mind that thinks up wicked plans, feet that hurry off to do evil, a witness who tells one lie after another, and someone who stirs up trouble among friends. 
B4 As Christians we can practice these principles:
C1 Speak truth (Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
C2 Listen (Proverbs 18:13)
C3 Be slow to speak and  slow to anger (James 1:19)
C4 Be understanding (Proverbs 20:5, John 7:24)
C5 Give encouragement (Hebrews 3:13)
C6 Have fellowship (Hebrews 10:25) This would include the idea of a support group
C7 Ask for wisdom (Psalm 16:7)
C8 Asking appropriate questions (Proverbs 20:5) This would include open questions
C9 Clarifying This would include paraphrasing (restating what the speaker said using different words) and summarizing (repeating the main points of the speaker)
C10 Show compassion (Colossians 3:12)
C11 Give wise answers (1 Peter 3:15)

No comments: