Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A Few Thoughts About "Nearer My God To Thee"


Lyrics:
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me
Still all my song would be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

There let the way appear steps unto heav'n
All that Thou sendest me in mercy giv'n
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Then with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Or if on joyful wing, cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upwards I fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

History:
Among many, I found this short description of the hymn:
Sarah Flower Adams was a British actress who received praise for her performance in an 1837 production of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. After health problems disrupted her plans to continue with theater, she found comfort in writing poems and hymns.

Her most notable hymn, “Nearer, My God, to Thee,” came about in 1841 when Adam’s pastor was looking for a hymn for the following week’s sermon on Genesis 28:11-19, which is referred to by many as “Jacob’s ladder,” or “Jacob’s dream.” Adams offered to write the hymn and completed it within a week to go along with the pastor’s sermon. The hymn was originally set to music written by her sister, Eliza Flower, but another hymn-tune called “BETHANY,” written by Lowell Mason in 1856, has become most widely recognized and is most familiar to listeners today. (Source, warning it is a Mormon site).

Performed by Jean Watson

A few thoughts
B1 The poem concerns Jacob and is written in Genesis 28:10-22.
B2 Jacob had problems with Esau, his brother, who wanted to kill him. Jacob had been sent away from home to go to his relatives.
B3 He stopped at Bethel at night to sleep.
B4 He had a dream. God was giving Jacob a message, which was recorded for us in Genesis 28:13-15.
B5 It was so life changing that Jacob made a vow (Genesis 28:20-22), which he did fulfill (Genesis 35:7).
B6 Times may be sad, even heartbreaking, but God is aware and still taking care of us. His promises are sure.
C1 John 16:33 NIV "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
C2 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
C3 Matthew 28:20 NIV and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
C4 Luke 6:21 NIV Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
C5 James 1:12 NET Happy is the one who endures testing, because when he has proven to be genuine, he will receive the crown of life that God promised to those who love him.
C6 Psalm 23:4 NET Even when I must walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me; your rod and your staff reassure me.
C7 Luke 4:18 NKJV The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.

No comments: