Friday, November 27, 2020

Questions Answered—John 10:26

Calvinists believe this passage teaches that people are sheep before they believe.

B1 John Piper, “We believe because we are God’s chosen sheep, not vice versa” (Piper, 5 Points, 54).

B2 A. W. Pink, the elect “are ‘sheep’ before they believe, yea, before they are born” (Pink, Sovereignty of God, 338).


Answer:

B1 Passage with immediate context: John 10:22-29

B2 Our passage: John 10:25-26 ESV Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep.

B3 Sheep in John 10:26 are the people of Israel

C1 Psalms 74:1 ESV A Maskil of Asaph. O God, why do you cast us off forever? Why does your anger smoke against the sheep of your pasture?

C2 Psalms 79:13 BBE So we your people, and the sheep of your flock, will give you glory for ever: we will go on praising you through all generations.

C3 Ezekiel 34:30-31 ESV And they shall know that I am the LORD their God with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Lord GOD. 31 And you are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord GOD.

B4 The sheep are Israel. Jesus is ministering to Israel (Matthew 10:5-6 and Matthew 15:23-28). Jesus is addressing two distinct types of sheep. My sheep are those who have already believed in Yeshua as Messiah. The other group of sheep do not; they have rejected Jesus.

B5 Jesus is in His third year of ministry. [Johannine Chronology Andreas Köstenberger]

B6 Jesus has been preaching, teaching, living, and doing miracles for over 2 years to these people. He has shown authority over weather, demons, sickness, and dead. Jesus has authenticated that He is Messiah [What are some of the credentials of the Messiah]. Some believed; most rejected. People reject the Gospel for two reasons—pride (for example, “I’m a good person” and/or love of sinful pleasures.

B7 Nothing is implied that God has decreed one set to believe and one to reject the Gospel. Jesus specifically states, “You do not believe.” Jesus did not state, “You are unable to believe.”

B8 All sheep are lost sheep in their natural state. Jesus seeks them. Matthew 10:6 ESV but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

B9 Jesus wants to draw all people to Himself. Most reject nevertheless and to their sorrow. John 12:32 ESV And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Those having a similar view.

B1 Ben Henshaw, “Various Thoughts on the Use of John 6 and Related Passages from John’s Gospel to Support Calvinism

B2 John 10:26 – Does Jesus Choose who will be His Sheep?


Matthew 7:13-14 NKJV Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

No comments: