Sunday, March 29, 2020

A Few Thoughts About Peace



Song by the great blues musician Landon Spradlin.

Seeking peace
B1 Psalm 34:14 NIV Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
C1 Most of us at one time or another have said something true or not, then have been attacked by bullying, shaming, gas-lighting, false accusations, etc.
C2 The Christian response must be, “Let’s talk this over.” We are not to seek revenge, bully, shame, rage against them, making others feel they are crazy, lie, etc. We need to seek peace. Proverbs 15:28 NLT The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.
C3 The Christian response must be, “Let’s wait to talk this over.” We are not to go on the attack and argue. We need to seek peace, not pick a fight. Proverbs 15:1 NIV A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
C4 We have all failed many times, but with God’s grace we can do what is right.
C5 The word peace is שָׁלוֹם shâlôwm. It means safety, health, peace, friendship, tranquility, etc.
C6 The word seek is בָּקַשׁ bâqash. It means seek, search, make request, etc.
C7 The word pursue is רָדַף râdaph. It means to run after, chase, with diligence and perserverance. It is a high priority.
C8 In seeking and pursuing peace let us remember: Romans 12:9-10 NLT Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.
C9 1 Peter 3:8-11 GW Finally, everyone must live in harmony, be sympathetic, love each other, have compassion, and be humble. Don't pay people back with evil for the evil they do to you, or ridicule those who ridicule you. Instead, bless them, because you were called to inherit a blessing. "People who want to live a full life and enjoy good days must keep their tongues from saying evil things, and their lips from speaking deceitful things. They must turn away from evil and do good. They must seek peace and pursue it.
B2 Matthew 5:9 GW Blessed are those who make peace. They will be called God's children.

Being in peace, calm, and tranquility
B1 Isaiah 26:3 CSB You will keep the mind that is dependent on you in perfect peace, for it is trusting in you.
C1 ESV: You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
C2 NLV: You will keep the man in perfect peace whose mind is kept on You, because he trusts in You.
C3 The word for dependent, stayed, kept, etc. is סָמַךְ çâmak. It means to lean on something for support. We lean on Him, so He is solid support. The flesh may die, but the soul is kept:
D1 Psalm 3:5 NET I rested and slept; I awoke, for the LORD protects me.
D2 John 10:28-30 NIV I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."
C4 Anxieties are common in this life. Worries about money, health, relationships, family, etc. We face these things.
D1 It is not a sin to worry. There is no verse that states worry is a sin.
D2 Worrying does not mean we do NOT trust God. We can trust God completely and still worry and have cares.
D3 God comforts us in our worries: Psalm 94:19 CSB When I am filled with cares, your comfort brings me joy.
D4 He is the greatest counselor. He does listen and hear our worries, troubles, fears, sorrows, pains, etc. He is there!!! Psalm 142:2-6 NLT I pour out my complaints before him and tell him all my troubles. 3 When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn. Wherever I go, my enemies have set traps for me. 4 I look for someone to come and help me, but no one gives me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me. 5 Then I pray to you, O LORD. I say, "You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life. 6 Hear my cry, for I am very low. Rescue me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me.
D5 He does not leave us: Nahum 1:7 NLT The LORD is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him.
D6 He wants us to talk to Him: 1 Peter 5:7 NLT Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
D7 Messiah, Yeshua, knows; yes, He knows! Isaiah 53:3-5 NLT He was despised and rejected--a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. 4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! 5 But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed.






No comments: