Sunday, March 15, 2020

Panic Leads to Poor Judgment

Proverbs 3:25 RSV Do not be afraid of sudden panic, or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes;

Jeremiah 30:5 ESV Thus says the LORD: We have heard a cry of panic, of terror, and no peace.

Now, I am taking this verses out of context as far as interpretation, but I believe there is a principle taught.

Panic destroys judgment and leads to poor decisions, dangerous actions, and stupidity.

If you read the press and note people’s panic because of COVID-19, you see this happening.

Judgment is destroyed.

Poor decisions are being made.

Dangerous actions are taking place.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

Impulsiveness.

Panic.

I read of people posting the empty shelves of TP, hand sanitizer, bottled water, beef (hamburger), potatoes, etc. What’s next?

I read of people drinking, gargling, and wiping their faces with bleach and cow urine.

I read of one man who is a selling a special toothpaste with nano-silver. He claims if one brushes their teeth with it, they will not get sick with COVID-19.

I read of people who will not let their family outside the house for any reasons.

Seriously?

I’m a nurse. I’ve been in situations where a physician and I were doing a procedure. Suddenly, a unexpected situation arises that could lead to death of the patient. What are we going to do? Are we going to start running around the room screaming that the patient is going to die? Or, are we going to keep our cool and respond to the situation as our education, training, and experience have molded us to do?

According to WHO’s statistics from the 2017 (the latest I can find), there were over 10,000,000 new cases of TB and 1,300,000 people died. If so, then that is approximately 27,397 people becoming infected with TB and 3,562 people dying EVERY DAY. Who is panicking? Now this is serious.

We can get updates from WHO here and here.

If everyone would chill out, wash their hands with soap and water, not sneeze in the hands then rubbing door knobs, magazines, carts,, etc. with their contaminated hands (use a tissue or if nothing else your sleeve), washing their hands after sneezing (if unable to use soap and water, use hand sanitizer), take 1 gram of Vit C, 2000 IU of Vit D3, be sensible, things will be better.

Yes, COVID-19 is serious, but if we panic, we get stupid.

Other links:
B1 Proper hand washing (from John Hopkin’s Medical)
B2 Proper sneezing (from Hamilton Health Sciences)
B4 Effect of panic on decision making:
Research published in The Journal of Neuroscience explains how anxiety works to disengage the part of the brain that is essential for making good decisions. The area is the pre-frontal cortex (PFC), at the front of the brain, and it is the area that brings flexibility into decision-making.

The situation may be different than the Psalmist, but the application is sound: Psalm 56:3-4 NLT But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. 4 I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?

The bottom line
B1 Don’t panic for it is bad for our well-being.
B2 Don’t be impulsive for it is bad for our health, our finances, our friends and family, etc.
B3 Choices have consequences.
B4 Breath slowly, enjoy nature, don’t make decisions without thinking.
B5 Pray for wisdom.

No comments: