Friday, April 10, 2020

A Few Thoughts About Good Friday

Good Friday is when we remember the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus.

What day did He die?
B1 Those who teach Friday, here is one example.
B2 Those who teach Thursday, here is one example.
B3 Those who teach Wednesday, here is one example.
B4 Personally, I don’t care. I am thankful that Jesus is the Passover Lamb.
C1 John the Baptist testifies: John 1:29 NIV The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
C2 Isaiah the prophet: Isaiah 53:7 NIV He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
C3 Philip, the evangelist, and the Ethiopian eunuch: Acts 8:32 NIV The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture: "He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, so He did not open His mouth.
C4 John the Apostle: Revelation 5:6 NIV Then I saw a Lamb who appeared to have been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which represent the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
C5 Peter the Apostle: 1 Peter 1:19 NIV But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
C6 Paul the Apostle: 1 Corinthians 5:7 ESV Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

Isaiah 53:7 A few references) GW He was despised and rejected by people. He was a man of sorrows, familiar with suffering. He was despised like one from whom people turn their faces, and we didn't consider him to be worth anything.
B1 Physical suffering: Isaiah 50:6 GW I will offer my back to those who whip me and my cheeks to those who pluck hairs out of my beard. I will not turn my face away from those who humiliate me and spit on me.
B2 Societal suffering: Psalms 22:6 GW Yet, I am a worm and not a man. I am scorned by humanity and despised by people.
B3 Emotional suffering:
C1 Psalms 69:19-20 GW You know that I have been insulted, put to shame, and humiliated. All my opponents are in front of you 20 Insults have broken my heart, and I am sick. I looked for sympathy, but there was none. I looked for people to comfort me, but I found no one.
C2 Matthew 27:39-44 GW Those who passed by insulted him. They shook their heads 40 and said, "You were going to tear down God's temple and build it again in three days. Save yourself! If you're the Son of God, come down from the cross." 41 The chief priests together with the scribes and the leaders made fun of him in the same way. They said, 42 "He saved others, but he can't save himself. So he's Israel's king! Let him come down from the cross now, and we'll believe him. 43 He trusted God. Let God rescue him now if he wants. After all, this man said, 'I am the Son of God.'" 44 Even the criminals crucified with him were insulting him the same way.
B4 Spiritual suffering: Matthew 27:46 ESV And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

A few other verses:
B1 Sins forgiven because Jesus took the penalty for our sins: Acts 13:39 NIV Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.
B2 Jesus died for our sins: 1 Corinthians 15:3 NIV For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
B3 Jesus was sinless. God made Him to be sin for us: 2 Corinthians 5:21 NIV God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
B4 Jesus was a willingly, eligible volunteer to be the Passover Lamb for us: Galatians 1:4 NIV who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,
B5 Jesus became a curse for us: Galatians 3:13 NIV Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole."
B6 Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all people. He paid and suffered for our sins, becoming the ransom, that is, either we are to be punished or by meeting God’s conditions, Jesus took the punishment: 1 Timothy 2:6 NIV who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.
B7 Because of Jesus we are redeemed from all wickedness and are purified to serve God: Titus 2:14 NIV who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Hebrews 13:15 ESV Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.

No comments: