Thursday, April 30, 2020

Devotional Notes Psalm 124+John 12

Blogging will be rather sporadic as we are selling the house and moving.

MORNING
Psalm 124
B1 What does this mean?
C1 No matter what battle we face. It may be the battle of depression, persecution, pain, abuse, etc., but we must remember:
D1 If the Lord had not been on our side, there would be no victory or hope. God always wins. It may be at death or before. He knows best. The soul of a believer will not be cast into hell.
D2 Psalms 39:7 GNB What, then, can I hope for, Lord? I put my hope in you.
C2 Psalms 124:8 GNB Our help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. God may send someone, something, some event to help us. We never have to worry about God’s punishment at death.
D1 John 16:33 GNB I have told you this so that you will have peace by being united to me. The world will make you suffer. But be brave! I have defeated the world!"
D2 Philippians 4:6-7 GW Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.  7  Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.
D3 James 3:17 GW However, the wisdom that comes from above is first of all pure. Then it is peaceful, gentle, obedient, filled with mercy and good deeds, impartial, and sincere.
D4 John 11:25-26 GNB Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me will live, even though they die;  26  and those who live and believe in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
D5 Psalms 23:4-6 GW Even though I walk through the dark valley of death, because you are with me, I fear no harm. Your rod and your staff give me courage. 5 You prepare a banquet for me while my enemies watch. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. 6 Certainly, goodness and mercy will stay close to me all the days of my life, and I will remain in the LORD'S house for days without end.
B2 How do I apply this to my life? Trust God always.

EVENING
John 12
B1 What does this mean?
C1 Mary of Bethany Anoints Jesus’s Feet
D1 We learn who was present.
D2 We learn what Mary did.
D3 We learn Judas’ response and Jesus’s response.
D4 We learn about Judas’ character. He was outwardly trustworthy, but his actions (stealing) revealed his true character. As it is said, “Actions are louder than words.”
D5 We learn that the Jewish leaders solution to problem was often murder. Lazarus had done nothing worthy of death. If people wish to kill Christians today, the same attitude is revealed.
C2 Jesus Enters Jerusalem Riding a Colt
D1 This feast is the Passover. It is one of 3 feasts that all Israelite men were required to attend. The others were Pentecost and Tabernacles.
D2 Verse 14 & 15 are another fulfilled prophecies. Compare: Top 40 Most Helpful Messianic Prophecies
D3 Barclay (beware) writes on verse 19: We cannot leave this passage without noticing the simplest thing of all. Seldom in the world's history has there been such a display of magnificently deliberate courage as the Triumphal Entry. We must remember that Jesus was an outlaw and that the authorities were determined to kill him. All prudence would have warned him to turn back and make for Galilee or the desert places. If he was to enter Jerusalem at all, all caution would have demanded that he enter secretly and go into hiding; but he came in such a way as to focus every eye upon himself. It was an act of the most superlative courage, for it was the defiance of all that man could do; and it was an act of the most superlative love, for it was love's last appeal before the end.
C3 Jesus Predicts His Death
D1 Verse 21, would all people so desire.
D2 Verse 21, would see Jesus probably refers to be able to speak with Him. Nevertheless, time does not permit it.
D3 Verse 24 not only refers to Jesus’s death but also our death to the world system, worldview, and lifestyle.
D4 In verse 25 Jesus warns about the error of having this life as the highest priority. We are to seek God’s kingdom as our highest priority.
E1 Matthew 6:33 ESV But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
E2 Bible Illustrator has this comment:
Man’s first duty His first duty.
1. In priority of time.
2. In excellence of value.
3. It implies diligence.
4. It implies consideration. How the unjust steward planned his conduct.
5. Seek a personal interest in the kingdom of God.
6. Seek the extension of the Redeemer’s kingdom.
7. Seek the glory of the kingdom
D5 In verse 32, the word all refers to all people. See here.
D6 In verse 32, the word draw is to lead into a certain place.
E1 Even though He draws, that is attracts, believing and trusting in Jesus is up to the individual to accept and reject.
E2 Sometimes, depending on the context, it can mean drag as James 2:6 CSB Yet you have dishonored the poor. Don't the rich oppress you and drag you into court?
E3 In verse 32, it has the idea of draw. See lexicon.
F1 Compare: John 6:44 ESV No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
F2 Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges: ἑλκύσω. Not συρῶ (see on John 6:44). There is no violence; the attraction is moral and not irresistible. Man’s will is free, and he may refuse to be drawn. Previous to the ‘lifting up’ it is the Father who ‘draws’ men to the Son (6:44-45). And in both cases all are drawn and taught: not only the Jews represented by the Twelve, but the Gentiles represented by the Greeks. Πρὸς ἐμαυτόν, unto Myself, up from the earth. The two verses (31, 32) sum up the history of the Church; the overthrow of Satan’s rule, the establishment of Christ’s.
D7 Verse 35 is a warning. Much light has come from the teaching of Jesus Christ. His actions and words were understood, but as the hearers, for the most part, rejected, the light faded and the hearing dulled. Let us not refuse the call from the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 11:28-30 NET Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry."
C4 Most Jews Refuse to Believe
D1 A very sad commentary for sure. God help us. John 12:42-43 WEL Nevertheless, even of the leaders many believed in him, but because of the Pharisees, they did not confess, lest they should be thrown out of the synagogue, 43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
D2 Verse 46, darkness refers to the opposite of truth, freedom, peace, safety, rest, hope, etc. If we believe Jesus, we have these good things. If we do not believe, then we have lies, slavery, no peace, no safety, no rest, no hope, etc. Ephesians 5:8 GNB You yourselves used to be in the darkness, but since you have become the Lord's people, you are in the light. So you must live like people who belong to the light,
D3 Another warning in verses 47-48: we can either believe in Jesus or reject. This is a genuine warning of our choices. Choices have consequences.
D4 The commandment of verse 50 is the commandment to believe. We can obey the Gospel call or reject.
B2 How do I apply this to my life? As above.

I hope to have a devotional every day on John’s Gospel starting with the last chapter of Luke’s Gospel. This is the way I do my devotions. You may notice grammatical and spelling errors. It is my hope you will also start or continue in your daily reading and thinking about the Scriptures. I do this Monday through Friday. It is a 3 year plan of reading and thinking on 1 chapter in the Old Testament, which takes 3 years, and reading and thinking on 1 chapter in the New Testament once a year for a total of 3 times. So, I read through the Old Testament 1 time and the New Testament 3 times over a period of 3 years. I do this Monday through Friday and use Saturday and Sunday for other devotions.

No comments: